Something Italian? Plus a Ramble


My Kid's drawing of Linguini, a character from Ratatouille. (Can you hear my proud mama voice?) So, in honor of my Kid, have a little Italian salad today:

Suggestions:
Greens: escarole, romaine, radicchio, green-leafed lettuce
Roasted red bell pepper
Green onions / scallions
Cherry tomatoes
Drizzle olive oil
Drizzle balsamic vinegar

Optional: real mozzarella chunks, pitted green olives, pepperoni, marinated artichoke hearts, asiago cheese, oregano, parsley ... keep on thinking!

===========================

I'm having a little trouble with my menu-planning lately. I have no problems at all cooking inventive and healthy but regular (not low-carb) meals for Hubby and the Kid. I almost snacked on garlic mashed potatoes last night but caught myself. However, I'm finding I just don't have the energy to think up creative meals for myself.

Honestly! I ate peanut butter, pickles and tuna salad for dinner last night but all I really wanted was just the peanut butter! Unbelievable!

Since I tried adding one 60-minute carb meal to my day, I've been floudering. (Thanks, Jack Sh*t). I've been having such a hard time getting back in the grove of only low-carb eating. And because of that, my weight loss has stalled. I feel like I've been stuck in the 210's for months, although it's only been weeks.

Oh, I know I'll get back to losing again. It's just frustrating.

Meanwhile, since my Kid has a doc appt today (to get yet another diagnosis... probably OCD this time or maybe autism again), I'll pop into the health food store to see if they have any low-carb convenience foods. I'm craving potatoes and sorry but I don't like cooked cauliflower or turnips or parsnips.

I will acknowledge that I have several occasions coming up that I'll need to eat off plan. Like visiting my mother, who's 80+ and a horrible cook, and is insisting that when we come over for lunch, she'll prepare potato salad (way too much mayo), sweet potatoes (drowning in butter, brown sugar and marshmallows), sandwiches on white bread, and brownies. NOTHING on my plan. It's bad enough that I need to bring special food for my Kid because he can't have wheat and hates potato salad and sweet potatoes. BUT ... if I bring MY food, she'll never let me forget it. Or forgive me. Dilemma but I just simply decided that I'll go off plan that meal, eating as little as possible, and hoping to take the sandwich meat off the bread. I'll eat just a few bits of the rest of the stuff. And eat a boiled egg or some other protein immediately after.

Well, at least it's a plan. NOT a planned binge, just a plan to handle family and an unavoidable eating situation.

Eeeek. I rambled.

Inevitable.

2 comments:

Lori said...

Love the drawing - very talented! I would just go ahead and bring your own food to eat. You can just say doctor's orders that you eat a certain way to avoid any confrontation. It's what you need to do and you shouldn't have to sacrifice your health for someone else's feelings.

Unknown said...

I left you an award on my blog.