The Drama of Wheat and Life

My bottomless Tween son has been very helpful.... moving boxes and furniture, helping to hang new curtains, mowing our lawn, and so forth. I've never rewarded his behavior or helpfulness with food (or at least he's never put those together!) but I thought I'd treat him after a particularly hard day, with a trip to Golden Corral. That buffet place.


This always-hungry 12-year-old, at 5'6 (1.5 inches shorter than me) and 105 pounds, ate:
  • bowl of applesauce

  • bowl of peaches and pears

  • baked potato with butter, sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese

  • bite of chicken (yuck, refused to eat the rest after I got my fingers all greasy taking the skin off and then the meat off the bone)

  • bowl of baked beans

  • veggies: raw carrots, raw cauliflower, raw broccoli, black olives

  • 8 cups of milk

  • "shadow cake" (chocolate and vanilla layers) that had wheat and that "ice cream/frozen yogurt" that oozes out

He was starting to fill a little full before the dessert, and he promised that he would be good if I would let him have wheat. He'd been off of it and all other gluten and non-organic foods for a while, and his behavior had been getting so much better.

Those last two items made him completely sick. As soon as we got home, he ran upstairs and hugged the toilet. He didn't throw up, but wanted to. I turned on his fan and got his bed ready. However, by the time he got into bed, my mother-in-law called with a tornado warning for our area... we ran downstairs.

My son is lying on the floor with a pillow and blanket (from the laundry-room down here) and I'm sitting here at my office desk, typing this out. I'm sure we'll be fine.

Meanwhile, I asked Tween if he thought his tummy ache was because he overate or because of the cake. He didn't hesitate.

"The wheat, mom. And I don't want to feel this way again."

"Ok."

"Oh, and I have a funny taste in my mouth."

Wow... if that doesn't reconfirm that he has a problem with food that isn't organic and gluten-free, then nothing does.

The warning's over. Funnel clouds were spotted about a mile from here near 120th street. Glad we ran downstairs. Time to get back upstairs and get him in bed. Safe day to all!

4 comments:

Ron said...

Glad you were safe thru the storms!

Cole Walter Mellon said...

Nothing like the dry heaves to teach you a lesson. I gotta tell ya tho, eight cups of milk would have me driving the porcelin bus.

Jen, a priorfatgirl said...

wow, lesson learned! Although its sad he felt that way, there is a reason for that experience, so he knows the direct correlation to what he eats & how he feels!

Glad you made it through the storm! SCARY!

Miz said...

WOW. interesting and you are SO raising a smart and intuitive and in touch with his body child.

that, IMO, is half the battle in this life!