I love my garden!

I've gardened before, but this year, it's gonna be HUGE!!! Instead of just using a few containers, I have about 800 SF of raised garden beds for vegetables, about 100 SF of raised garden beds for strawberries, about 36 pots for unusual tomatoes, about 100 SF for herbs and medicinal flowers ... and that doesn't even start to cover the fruit bushes and vines and trees, and nut trees. PLUS we have about half-acre to plow up to plant corn/squash/beans (3 sisters), sunflowers/melons/cucumbers (3 cousins), alfalfa, millet, amaranth and hullless oats.

Never fails, I eat more healthy when we have fresh produce here at home. Especially something I've raised.  I know it's not contaminated, and we don't usually use fertilizers (unless you count goat and chicken poop).

Here's a few things we're growing:
-trees: apples, pears, plums, nectarines, apricots, cherry, almond, walnut, filbert
-bushes: blackberry, blueberry, raspberry, cranberry, lingonberry, roses (for rose hips)
-vines: 3 kind of grapes
-other: strrawberries, tomatoes, peppers, greens, squash, beans, corn, melons, cucumbers, sunflowers, oats, millet, amaranth, parsley, basil, onions/scallions, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes, chuffa (ground nuts), carrots, radishes, and oh so much more!

My mouth is almost watering. We should have greens and other winter-type veggies by May, and hopefully strawberries around then too.  The rest should be ready throughough the summer, except for fruit and nut trees that may take 3-10 years to produce.

ARGH!

2 comments:

safire said...

I wish I had a green thumb like you! Your garden sounds amazing, it's practically a farm!

Vee said...

Thanks, Safire. We do often refer to it as a "farmette".