Recipe for Lasagna Wontons

For the lack of a better term, I'm calling these "Lasagna Wontons". I made these for the first time a week or so ago, and then again last night for both my book on lunchbox ideas AND to actually give Hubby for his lunchbox next week.

First, I gotta say... I made these in my GT Express 101 machine, which I dearly love to use and wish I had two more complete with all of the little trays! Second, since it's a different machine than most people have, amounts of ingredients and cooking times will vary depending on what you use.

Also, I used wonton skins because noodles are too tempting for me to NOT put down my gullet. Plus I barely remember seeing someone on some cooking show using wonton skills for pan lasagna. And it really works.

Ingredients:
wonton skins (the squares)
cheese
pre-cooked marinara meat sauce

Instructions:
In a muffin cup or some other pan that you intend to cook these in, place a layer of wonton skins covering the bottom. Place a layer of cheese, a layer of sauce, dot another layer of cheese and cover with another layer of wonton skins. Cook until top is browned.

Note: if any of you guys try this, let me know how long it takes in muffin cups or in a lasagna or bread pan ... in the oven at 350. I think it took me 25 minutes the first time I did this, with a 12-count muffin tin. Just want confirmation (since I was a dummy and didn't write it down).

= = = =

Instead of catching up on my calorie, carb and protein numbers (yes, I'm putting my calculations off yet another day!), I did a LOT of cooking today. I made an oriental chicken dish (have to make the fried rice tomorrow). I cooked bratwurst and turkey hot dogs. I made southwestern corn bread muffins. And ... ta da ... I made brown cheese.

I meant to make regular cheese but I messed it up. Oh well. I'd been meaning to attempt brown cheese for some time. It's Scandinavian, and Hubby and his mom are Norwegian so I really basically made it for them. THREE quarts of milk plus TWO quarts of whey equals less than TWO cups of brown cheese! Argh! AND it took 7 hours to cook, so I had to relocate my computer and everything into the closest room to the kitchen (the den) so I could keep an eye on the concoction. It's a really strong cheese. Hope they like it because I sure don't!! (Sssshhh.. don't tell)

= = = =

After the cheese finally finished, and I put it in a container to chill in the fridge, Kid and I went out to do some harvesting. We did black beans, string beans, eggplant, tomatoes, mini red bell peppers, basil, zucchini, yellow squash, and corn. The corn was wormy so the chickens and goats got it.

I'm eating the 4 yellow pear tomatoes and the 2 mini red bell peppers for dinner. Maybe in a salad? I don't know. I'm not very hungry. Got that taste of the brown cheese in my mouth.

Ugh.

Anyway, I picked the eggplant quite small. They are the black beauty variety and can get around a foot long, but I picked them today at about 4-6 inches. Left several 3-inchers (and smaller) still on the plant. I'm hoping they won't be bitter, which is why I picked them early.

See... I hate eggplant. Really really don't like it. I mostly grow it for Hubby, then Hubby decides he really doesn't want to cook it. So... is there a way that I can EASILY and QUICKLY cook or dehydrate (hmmm!) the eggplant that my lactose-intolerant Hubby will enjoy, and maybe even picky me (low carb/low sodium/low calories, remember?)?

Maybe something for my crockpot?

Help!

3 comments:

Carly said...

lasagna wontons sound great. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Congrats on your awesome weight loss!! Your ticker is looking GREAT.

Vee said...

Thanks, Carly. Hey look! It's one point lower this morning! SMILING!!! Vee

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

Thanks for the recipe idea. I don't normally eat lasagna because I don't like thick pasta, but I might try this mini-version.