Blueberry Flax Bread-Thing

I searched for something to do with my frozen fruit, and found flaxmeal when I googled "what can i do with frozen berries? low carb".

This isn't actually a bread. I started out as a cereal I found online, but I didn't like the texture, so I microwaved it for about 80 seconds. Much better. But for the lack of a better word, I'm calling it "bread-thing" and it feels so decadent!

Ingredients:
3 tbs ground flax seeds
2 tbs whey protein powder
1/2 cup hot water
1/4 cup blueberries
dash cinnamon

Instructions:
While heating up the water (I put the measuring cup in the microwave for 2 minutes), I got out a large pasta bowl (you'll need the space). Mix in the bowl the flaxseed meal, protein powder and cinnamon. Once the water was hot, add and stir. Mix in the blueberries.

If you want to eat it as a gloppy cereal, just let it set for 2 minutes then dig in. If you want it as a bread-like texture, heat in microwave 60-80 seconds. Watch carefully because it will really expand up and out. Take it out and let it cool down (it will firm up a little).

Variations: add chopped nuts, peanut butter, cocoa powder, canned pumpkin with pumpkin pie spice, other fruits instead of blueberries, stevia or splenda, applesauce... the sky is the limit!

I used to make flax crackers which is basically ground flaxseed and water (and sometimes herbs, onion powder, etc), then put in the dehydrator on a plastic sheet. They get nice and crispy and feel like a crackers in my mouth. I'm thinking maybe I'll try doing this and putting it in the dehydrator. Hmmm...fruit crackers!

I made this yesterday for a mid-afternoon snack, and it helped me hold up till dinner. It was good to have blueberries again, and since I only used a quarter cup, it only added 4.38 carbs (the whole recipe was 6.9 carbs, 173.8 calories, and 14.8 protein). Excellent for my numbers, and a great source of fiber and Omega 3. I'm thinking about adding this to my daily plan. If you try it, let me know what you think of this blueberry flax bread-thing!!

= = = =

So I went to the health food store and wally-world today. Came home with:
-hazelnut flour (to add to my flax bread-thing)
-soy flour (same, plus another recipe I'm working on)
-unsweetened coconut flakes (again, for the flax bread-thing)
-hazelnuts/filberts (snacks)
-macadamias (snacks)
-brazil nuts (snacks)
-frozen berry blend (hmmm... fruit!)
-frozen peach slices (hmmm... fruit!)
-fresh fruit (I get the watermelon, cantaloupe & strawberries)
-oikos plain yogurt
-low-fat cottage cheese
-some more protein drinks, this time I also got french vanilla!

Already had a portion of the watermelon today so that's all the fruit I get today. That's ok. I'm really looking forward to the strawberries tomorrow. AND I'm gonna make some of that flax-bread-thing above but instead of adding blueberries, I'm gonna add garlic and italian spices and use it as a pizza crust. YUM!

So... it's 5:21 and Hubby's on his way home. Haven't seen him since he left Monday afternoon. We'll unpack his car, I'll start laundry, we'll milk the goat, he'll say hello to the critters while I strain and pasteurize and add vanilla for drinking, then we'll eat. Have NO clue what I want. There's spaghetti in the crockpot for him. The Kid? No clue.

This weekend's plan: a little more winterizing of our animal houses and getting the front room ready for grow lights and pots of tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, squash and beans. Delicious winter, yeah?!?

So, we're going to be a little busy. I might not post again until Sunday afternoon when Hubby leaves for another week, taking a lot of the food I cooked this week. Have a great weekend, all!

1 comment:

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

I reviewed some sort of commercial product that was a cranberry cracker and it was delicious! A little *too* delicious, if you know what I mean. :)

Have a great weekend!